Gallagher - Hansen
V.F.W. Post 295
111 South Concord Exchange
South St. Paul, MN 55075
Boy, this is an extremely difficult Newsletter to write because like many of you I have mixed emotions about selling the Building. I know it’s the right thing to do but the memories and the nostalgia are overwhelming.
Just two months ago we voted to sell and now it’s November and we are moving out.
Of course, everyone has questions. The most common ones are: What’s happening with the sale of the building? When is the last day the club will be open? When are we moving? Where are we moving to? Where will we be meeting in November?
1. The sale is moving along nicely, and everything seems to be coming together. However, it does look like the closing date on the sale could be pushed back into December because the mortgage company is still processing the paper work.
2. However, the new owner wants to move in on November 1, 2018, as originally planned. So, the Quartermaster and Sr. Vice Commander have asked our realtor to come up with a rental/lease agreement to cover the time he will be using the building while we are still the owners.
3. The club’s last business day will be Wednesday, October 31, 2018 (Halloween). Lots of festivities are planned, so be there, doors open at 11AM.
4. Moving Day has been set for Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
5. Most of our Equipment will be stored at a donated space at a warehouse on Eva Street in St. Paul near Holman Field. Our office will be at 1401 Thompson Ave. (the old Cunningham Sports Building) however, we will be meeting at 1413 Thompson Ave. Suite 1 which is just around the corner in the same building but off 14th.
6. However, because there is only one conference room in that building we are forced to change our meeting days as follows:
a) POST MEETINGS - WILL REMAIN ON THE 2ND WEDNESDAY OF EACH MONTH @ 7PM. THIS MONTH THAT IS NOV. 14TH
b) AUXILIARY MEETINGS WILL BE ON THE TUESDAY BEFORE THE POST MEETING. THE TIME IS 6:30PM. THIS MONTH THAT IS NOV. 13TH
c) LEADERSHIP TEAM WILL MEET ON THE MONDAY BEFORE THE POST AND AUXILIARY MEETINGS @ 6:30PM. THIS MONTH THAT IS NOV. 12TH
REMEMBER ALL THESE MEETINGS WILL BE HELD IN THE CONFERENCE ROOM @ 1413 THOMPSON AVE. SOUTH SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA 55076
• On August 8, I met with the Color Guard. Four things happened at this meeting:
1. It was decided to suspend providing grave side ceremonies for departed comrades. There were two things behind this decision:
a) It is getting harder and harder to put together a rifle squad on the short notice we’re given for funerals.
b) If the burial is at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery, the Ft. Snelling Memorial Rifle Squad is available to provide these honors. If the burial is other than at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery State statute now requires the Minnesota National Guard to provide these honors, at no cost. Ask your mortician (even if it is a cremation society or association).
2. It was also decided the Color Guard would present Colors at VFW functions or at ceremonies and events in SSP only.
3. Three people not presently members of the Color Guard have expressed an interest in joining. They were Sol Diekman, Ken Johnson, and Tim Loney. If you also are interested in being a part of this great group but couldn’t come to the meeting please contact Mike Keenan @ 612-703-8124.or Terry Pieper @ 952-440-8925.
4. The Post will still try to provide rituals at visitation or memorial ceremonies when asked, contact Commander Mike Labovitch @ 651-457-6868.
• The 1st meeting of the Kids Christmas Party Committee was held on October 15, 2018. Sue Mausolf who has organized this program for the past 5 years is still in charge but due to a scheduling conflict will not be able to be at the party this year. So, we are looking for volunteers. If you would like to help be event begins at 1PM and includes Santa, Clowns, Caricature Artists, Food, Pop, Door Prizes and most of all Fun. More details in next month’s Newsletter.
• On October 31st in addition to it being our last day of business we will be handing out Hot Dogs and Hot Chocolate @ the City-wide Great Halloween Get Together 5-7PM on Marie Ave. near the Community Center. If you would like to help, let Barb or me know, or you can just show up.
• On Veterans Day 2018, Post 295 and the Dakota County Historical Society will be celebrating the 100th Anniversary of the Signing of the Armistice that Ended WWI. A complete schedule is shown in the - TAKE SPECIAL NOTICE - section of this newsletter. -- REMEMBER: The Traditional Toast will be held the 11th hour - on the 11th day - of the 11th month at the Moose Lodge located at 5927 Concord Blvd East Inver Grove Heights. MN. Program begins at 10:30AM.
• ONCE AGAIN, our next Leadership Team, Auxiliary, & Post Meetings will be at 1413 Thompson Ave. South Saint Paul, MN. The dates are:
Leadership -- November 12, 2018 - 6:30PM
Auxiliary -- November 13, 2018 - 6:30PM
Post - November 14, 2018 - 7PM.
OUR GOAL IS ALWAYS To: “Honors the Dead by Serving the Living”
“Taking Pride in 295”.